More of the shabby than of the chic. This didn't turn out at all the way intended. It was supposed to be a bag that you could turn over to make it look as if it were reversible.
Sunday, 18 April 2010
I just love the piggy. Unfortunately it isn't made from a stray sock, I just had to buy a packet with wavy tops. The little creature is stray though because she was made from the pig's leftovers.
Sunday, 4 April 2010
The Blue doll is the original sample doll, the yellow one is made up from the fabric from spoon flower. This time it has pipe cleaners in the legs so they bend and the doll sits. The hips are articulated as well. I just have three more to sew up now! A red and white one, the blue one and a plain one which I shall experiment with dyeing or painting.
Such a lot of blogs in one day. I'll try and do better next time!
My first Doll's pattern - not such a good one because the doll has to stand up and I don't have a stand, so there they are perched on the window. It had been snowing.
See previous post - once I was satisfied with the pattern I added features to the face and a fabric colour. I printed it onto ink jet fabric transfer paper and made up the doll. The feel of the final fabric isn't that bad. The colour is duller than the final spoonflower fabric.
I belong to the yahoo group UKFabricFigures, we are a group of people who are interested in fabric figures, mainly dolls. I also discovered a wonderful site recently, www. spoonflower.com who prints your own designs for a reasonable price. So, combining the two, I ran a competition; the participants created an image which could be printed on fabric and turned into a figure.
This is the first time I have made a dolls pattern and I used a "learning to draw" book to get the basic proportions. This was the first one I made to check that the pattern worked.
This is the final image. When I'm feeling brave I'll try and get rid of the white blobs and dark line around the edge of the face. Tammy supplied an additional video on blending and it was very useful, despite the "blobs", the blending video really helped. I did this in my journal and the paper is too flimsy. The curls you can see which seem to match the curls on the hair are serendipitous - it is where the water made the paper buckle!
The words say "Wherever you go. go with all your heart" - Confucius
I now need to do more, I want to paint the next one on canvas.
Lessons 3, 4 and 5 now missed. Actually, that isn't quite true. Lesson 3 was about doing a three quarters portrait. I did one which was nearly OK but the the far side of the far side eye was pointed and you can't see that point on a 3/4 portrait. So, I decided to use a photograph as inspiration. I found one on the net and posterised it in Paint Shop Pro so I easily see the shading. I traced it onto my page so I couldn't get it wrong. The girl in the original photo is so so gorgeous and looks like a monster in my picture!
Lesson 4 was about profile portraits, which is this one. Lesson 5 is about adding elements and objects and lesson 6 is about mixed media backgrounds. These next three posts are for lessons 4 and 6.
The first image is the initial sketch. Her head looks far too big but her eyes are half way down the head. My natural instinct is still to draw eyes a third of the way down, but I measure with my thumbs and fingers now a days to make sure I don't do that.
Somebody asked me recently why I had disappeared from the blogosphere. I hadn't realised that it was three months since I last posted. I think the main reason is that I spent several weeks on a project that was in a competition so I couldn't post about it until the competition was over. That is for a future post.
Those of you who have been reading my blog will know that I have been doing various on-line portrait painting classes since December 2008. The latest one is Fabulous faces at willowing.ning.com. Tammy will be repeating the course and it will be available on DVD shortly. I recommend it to anybody who wants to draw or paint faces. This course covers painting front, three-quarters and profile portraits.
Lesson 1 was about shading - this was my first attempt.